Friday, June 29, 2007

Flashback Friday: Holler

I was thinking a lot about girl groups of my generation. Probably because the Spice Girls announced a reunion tour. I know at least one person who secretly listens to Spice Girls on their ipod but would never publically admit to liking their music. And since I am admitting it now, you know it's not me :D !

The Spice Girls have had their share of critics. I honestly don't think they're music is as bad as people make it out to be. Just because some music is mass marketed doesn't necessarily mean it's bad-- that's just what characterizes pop music. Anyway, I put this song on all my road trip CDs and frankly, I'm surprised that I haven't gotten sick of it after so many years. It's a great pop song. This comes from the Forever album, so there is no Ginger Spice. In the video, note the late 90s/early 2000s fascination with technology that seemed to be an ubiquitous theme for a lot of videos in that era. I remember when I first saw this video, I thought, "Man, I really wish this machine existed..."

No comments: