Thursday, June 7, 2007

Music from the West Coast

I'm doing my best to focus and find direction in everything I do. When it comes to my life, my career, and even this blog, it feels like my brain is a mishmash of Belgian waffle toppings, and everyone knows all you really need for a good waffle is maple syrup. I need the cerebral equivalent of maple syrup.

Anyway, I'm contemplating purchasing this wicked album, AM- Troubled Times. It's also streamable on his website. AM, originally of New Orleans, is a Los Angeles based musician who sounds like a mix of Mat Kearny, John Mayer, and Chris Martin. His initials are AM, but I'm having trouble finding out what they stand for. And according to Nic Harcourt and his interview with AM on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, AM is "virtually un-google-able." So true... I have tried- ha! There seems to be some buzz surrounding him, especially on the West Coast. His song, "Playing the Game" was also featured on the television show Men in Trees, which I happen to be huge fan of, and AM says in that same interview that many of the songs from the Troubled Times album are featured in some television show or independent movie, so his music might sound familiar to you. Right now however, his song "Home" is really growing on me.

All troubles pass in time
And we can make it through
You tell me that it's not what I say, but what I can do

I also have this quote tacked on the wall: "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it,"- Goethe. I think I'm going to put the AM's lyrics next to it. Inspiration from all sources is appreciated.

Check out AM's official website and myspace page
Listen to a live set and interview from KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic 10.5.05
(Buy Album- Troubled Times)

No comments: