Sunday, July 1, 2007

Celebrating Canada in Brooklyn

I made the trek from Queens to Brooklyn today to celebrate Canada Day with three of bands from Montreal: Malajube, Sam Roberts Band, and one of my favorite bands, The Stills.

Malajube in their adorable Franco-accented English wished us all a “Happy Brooklyn.” I still don’t know that significance of lead singer Julien Mineau’s furry rat hat thing, but it’s a good thing it wasn’t a particularly hot day, otherwise he would have been baking.

(Malajube)

(Sam Roberts Band)

When The Stills came on, I was ecstatic. I was busting out my best moves, dancing to the music and singing along. I haven’t seen them perform live since college. They really have tightened up the performance aspect of their concert in a few years. Their first album is hands down better than the second, but the second does have its gems—like Oh Shoplifter, and Halo the Harpoon. Then again, I could probably listen to Tim Fletcher sing the phone book. Oh Tim… how I heart thee. One of the songs they performed for the encore was my favorite Stills song, Killer Bees, from the Rememberese EP.

Tim Fletcher & Dave Hamlin

of....

(The Stills)

Happy Canada Day, and…… “Happy Brooklyn!”

Malajube- Étienne d'août (link expired)
(Buy the album: Trompe L’Oeil)

Sam Roberts Band- Bridge to Nowhere (link expired)
(Buy the album: Chemical City)

The Stills- Killer Bees (link expired)
(Buy the EP: Rememberese)

No comments: