Monday, July 2, 2007

The Stills- Interview with NPR

I'm still riding off the high from Saturday's concert. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed some of the songs from Without Feathers, which, when played live, has just a completely different sound and energy. It's starting to grow on me.

But yes, this second album was a huge shift in tone from their previous album, Logic Will Break Your Heart. I hate change, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I came across this interview The Stills did last year on NPR's World Music Cafe, and they explained their desire to make "epic" music, which can span many genres, not just what Dave Hamlin calls, the "post-Radiohead" sound.

I think what I needed was an explaination for the change. Interpol has been rocking the same sound since they first broke out, but I can understand if a band decides to test new waters and go in a different direction. It didn't work for The Killers, but I hope it works for The Stills because I think they're immensely talented, AND... they don't seem to take themselves too seriously!

On the difference in media attention between Canada and the States:

Dave: The difference is like, in Canada we'll be on the Entertainment Tonight of Canada.
Tim: Right, they don't have much to talk about though.
Dave: No, they don't.

I laughed out loud.

No comments: