Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Me, I'm down in the light

It’s starting to happen, and I thought it would—Interpol overload. I went to bed the other night and woke up because I had a guitar riff looping in my brain. I think I need a break. What say you?


Non-Interpol related, I have been longing to cross off "Clean" from my list of movies to see. The film is about a former VJ, Emily (Maggie Cheung) who needs to get her life on track in order to regain custody of her son. She is a heroin addict, and so is her rock star husband. Society blames Emily first, for his fledgling music career and then, for his accidental overdose. In death, he is canonized as a musical legend, but what about Emily? I know this smells suspiciously of Lifetime special, but for those familiar with director Olivier Assayas' work, Clean is on the other end of the spectrum. Assayas wrote this part specifically for Maggie Cheung and she plays the part convincingly without being overly sentimental. The role ultimately earned her a Palme d’Or at Cannes.

She also has a few scenes where she sings. I love her, I do, but she’s not the greatest singer. Not that her songs don't have their own kind of charm since they are written by Mazzy Star producer, David Roback. I'm actually warming up to it.

Maggie Cheung- Down in the Light (link expired)
(Buy the soundtrack: Clean)

No comments: