Thursday, July 26, 2007

When land meets water


Before I leave you and take my vacay in the land of free health care, Labatt beer, and ice hockey, I want to introduce you to Valerie Leulliot. She is the lead singer of the French group, Autour de Lucie, which is an amazing band in its own right. The last time I was in Canada, I bought one of their albums and listened to it all the way back across the border. I'm kinda hoping to do the same with Valerie's solo album, except, I suspect that Montreal is really the only place you can physically purchase French albums in North America, and I am going to be in British Columbia. I believe it's available on Amazon as well, but I will hit up some record stores and see what I can dig up.

Leulliot has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. Whatever language you speak, her music is light, thoughtful and ingenious. When I saw the video for her single, "Mon Homme Blesse" (cracking out my high school French, I think this means, "My Wounded Man"), it just completely swept me away. This is art-- it is as if she is saying, if there were no men and women, land and water would still exist. The sea ebbs and resists, but flows inward to the earth. Who is man? Who is woman? It is all magical.




At least, that was my interpretation. I will be back next Tuesday. Until then, enjoy.

Valerie Leulliot- Mon Homme Blesse (link expired)
(Buy the album: Caldeira)

2 comments:

bug said...

Have fun! Oh, and you told me to tell you, so here: http://dinosaurfloss.com

Anonymous said...

have a great trip!!! :)