Thursday, September 6, 2007

We grow together

I have taken a liking to late night walks. It’s not terribly safe, but despite the occasional glance over the shoulder, it’s a pretty peaceful neighborhood. The streets are deserted, cars speed down the otherwise abandoned boulevard, and nobody can hear me singing--- loudly, and probably off key. It’s so therapeutic, and I think it’s a great way to scare off potential muggers :)

On the walk from the subway, I’ve been listening to Fiona Apple. She writes these epically poetic lines, “You can use my skin, to bury secrets in,” that just blows me away. When you’re in that state of mind, anything remotely moving and poetic can be amazing with the right delivery—and she definitely delivers with the contemplative piano, and her soft, gravelly voice. I never get tired of this song. It seems like each year it takes on another meaning. Music and I, we age gracefully. Go figure.

Fiona Apple- I Know (link expired)
(Buy When the Pawn)

2 comments:

bug said...

Just don't go late night surfing, yeah?

Ryan said...

The part when Ms. Apple sings "...for you to find you love me and tell me so." always gives me that heavy feeling in my throat.

It still gets me after all these years.