Saturday, September 15, 2007

Surprise, sometimes you'll come around

This has been the summer of many firsts. For example, even though I am a native New Yorker, I have never been to Madison Square Garden. And now that I’ve seen what all the hoopla’s about, I don’t really care if I go again. Overpriced concession snacks, and industrial air conditioning cheapens the concert-going experience (but not the price of the ticket, sadly).

Tonight was the Interpol concert and the night started off poorly. First, it was unbearably cold, and then to top that off, two words: The Liars. Maybe I just don’t get them and their experimental rock. Nothing they played sounded…good. I am fond of their song, “Houseclouds” but between the teeth chattering and making sense of their noise, I just gave up figuring out what the hell they were doing. Knowing Cat Power was coming up kept me going though. She sandwiched her cover songs between “The Greatest” and “Metal Heart,” which is one of my favorites. Still, I was starting to get restless. It’s probably because Soph and I have been spoiled by the beauty of general admission—your proximity to the stage depends solely on your willingness to shove and your resolve to wait patiently in the ticket line for hours. Unaware that there was a general admission ticket for this show, we were stuck with our original seats.

Well, we made the best of it, and when Interpol took the stage, they did not disappoint. Lots of jumping and belting out lyrics warmed us up nicely. The only snafu was when the big screen thing that covered the stage at the beginning of their set got stuck.

“We’re going to take a short break so we can take this fucking screen down and try to see all of you.”- Paul



New York- MSG 9.14.07 Setlist
Pioneer to the Falls
Obstacle 1
C’mere
Narc
Say Hello to The Angels
Pace is the Trick
Mammoth
Hands Away
No I in Threesome
Slow Hands
Rest My Chemistry
Heinrich Maneuver
Evil
Not Even Jail

Encore
NYC
Stella Was a Diver
PDA

Encore #2
Untitled

Another first—2 encores. The fake out was stellar. Despite it all, I could’ve been there all night (Sam Fogarino’s drumming is amazing). Keep those encores coming!

Interpol- Untitled
(Buy Turn On The Bright Lights)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha, i forgot about the screen mishap! Interpol is da bomb diggity