Saturday, September 1, 2007

In a sea of rum

After a pre-pre-birthday bash on Coney Island today, I wandered across the Daytrotter session the White Rabbits did back in July. I think "Sea of Rum" was one of the songs they played at Soundfix that I loved but had a hard time figuring out the name of. It's too bad I didn't find it before I made my beach playlist. It would have been awesome to rock out to this down by the shore. By the way, if there was a way to swim in a sea of rum on Coney Island, I would pack up and move to the beach. However, it looks like the billion dollar developers beat me to it. Head down there now while you can-- the boardwalk as we know it, margaritas in neon flutes, mom and pop clam houses-- it'll all disappear when developers revamp the boardwalk in the name of "progress."

Says Dick Zigun, the founder of Coney Island USA, which operates the Mermaid Parade and the Coney Island Museum:

“There are businesses here I love very much, like Ruby’s Bar [on the boardwalk],” he says. “Let’s be realistic—some of them won’t be able to afford the new rents, thanks to what’s unofficially called ‘progress.' " - New York Magazine
I'll have to trek out to Coney Island as much as possible before "progress," the brain child of a p.r. suit, strips it down to replace Ruby's Bar with a Ruby Tuesday, amass the new condos that they said they were "not" building. Mmm hmm...right.

No comments: