Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wallflowers Are For Lovers

*And we're back!*

The Wallflowers sprung into town Monday night, playing a show at Highline Ballroom, which, funny enough, is situated next to the Western Beef supermarket. Why? Who knows? If you're into rock music and two for one specials on toilet paper, I suppose it's good to know where you can get all your errands done.



I attempted to outmanouever a double whammy at the show: standing behind a tall man, with extremely poofy hair (his hair, is in a great many of my photos sadly, like a poodle on its hind legs looking for a photo op), BUT, I fulfilled one of my goals in life-- to see The Wallflowers, so I can't complain too much.





Jakob Dylan fans showed up in throngs, drawn to the center stage by the man's signature raspy vocals. After Rami Jafee left the group indefinitely, the band shuffled the line up with Stuart Mathis on lead guitar. He played extensively with The Wallflowers on their Rebel Sweetheart tour, so he might be familar to people. Because this is my first Wallflowers show, it was all new to me, but Mathis was especially good on How Far You've Come- the the fingering, the pull offs and bending-- t'was quite cool. It's probably my favorite song off the last album, and it was a treat to hear it live. Jakob Dylan is such a brilliant songwriter too-- finding middle ground between sadness, and silver-linings. I find myself listening to this track any time I'm ready to leave the pity party.

Sometimes a high wall, is just a wall
Sometimes it's only there to make sure you feel small
Or maybe there to save you, from the depths, of a much deeper fall

The Wallflowers will be in town for a few more days, as they are booked for a birthday party. It's a sweet reminder of the shows musicians played in their early days, but in this particular case, it's not just any ice cream cake balloon-animals affair. The festivities are for Hillary Clinton. She's turning the big 6-0. If you can shell out the $100+ for a ticket, the show is at Beacon Theatre on October 25th.


Closer To You is one of the songs they played for the encore. It's a goosebump inducing lullaby, which Jakob Dylan acknowedged, "is for the ladies." Judging by the number of wooed women (and men) in the crowd wanting to get "closer to you," Jakob, we'll say your music is for lovers.

Set List for The Wallflowers at Highline Ball Room, 10.22.07

Shy of the Moon
I Am a Building
Here He Comes
6th Avenue Heartache
The Passenger
Up From Under
Empire of My Mind
When You're On Top
How Far You've Come
God Says Nothing Back
Letters from the Wasteland
If You Never Got Sick
3 Marlenas
God Don't Make Lonely Girls
Nearly Beloved
Everybody Out of The Water

Encore

I've Been Delivered
Babybird
Closer To You
Everything I Need


The Wallflowers- How Far You've Come
(Buy Rebel Sweetheart)

The Wallflowers- Closer To You
(Buy Red Letter Days)

No comments: