Saturday, October 13, 2007

Rave On! Part Deux...

I had such a great time at The Raveonettes show last night at Bowery Ballroom. This is the second time I've seen them perform this week. After looking at the pictures I took at Southpaw, I realized that I always veer for the left of the stage (usually in front of a bassist). Perhaps it’s some subconscious attraction to the bass. But it was nice to see the view from the right.

Gliss, as usual, was amazing. Martin was a bit chattier with the crowd yesterday evening, but unlike Southpaw, there wasn’t a crop circle of empty space in front of the band. They played this one song that I really liked that isn’t on their album, so I asked Victoria about it after the set. It’s called “Kick In Your Heart” and I recommend it because David is a total badass on that guitar riff. You can download it from their website. Just sign up for their mailing list. One other interesting note- in addition to swapping gear with each other between songs, the band makes up the set list as they play. Three cheers for spontaneity.


(Martin and David, each taking their turn at the guitar)



So Nicole Atkins has my vote for coolest wardrobe. It would be fun to raid her closet. She was wearing this vest that her friend made for her out of old bicycle tires. I love recycling, don’t you? (Al Gore would be proud) She said she smelled like a giant condom. This girl can sing, and she's got a sense of humor to boot.



When the crowd was applauding, Nicole mentioned that it was funny “watching people clap for me when I sing about my pathetic life.” Aww… you’re not pathetic, Nicole! Would a pathetic person wear these darling gold cowboy boots? No way. I couldn't get a really good shot, but those boots were so cute.



Her band is great also! They have wonderful chemistry when they play together. Watch for them when they perform live on the Late Show with David Letterman on October 30th.



The Raveonettes played a razor sharp set of mostly new songs and appreciated the love coming from the crowd. It was a sold out show :)





I love this photo below of Sharin and their drummer. I really like the contrast. What an unexpected shot-- Sharin just popping up like that!



The Raveonettes Set List 10.12.07 @ Bowery Ballroom

Remember
Noisy Summer
That Great Love Sound
Let’s Rave On
Hallucinations
Blush
Attack of the Ghost Riders
My Tornado
Expelled from Love
Lust
Red Tan
Love In a Trash Can
Dead Sound
French Disko (*They love Stereolab!)
Aly, Walk With Me

The Raveonettes- Lust (demo)
(Listen to more demos at their myspace)

1 comment:

Roland said...

Hey, no problem at all. Seeing anything during CMJ week?