Wednesday, October 3, 2007

On the Darjeeling Limited



I haven't seen a good movie in the theatres in a very long time. Yesterday, I broke the film drought with Wes Anderson's new flick, Darjeeling Limited. It's about three estranged brothers who meet for the first time since their father passed away, on the Darjeeling Limited to embark on a spiritual journey through India. Big brother Francis (Owen Wilson) is eager to reconnect while his two brothers, Peter (Adrien Brody) and Jack (Jason Schwartzman) want to be anywhere else except on this train. Each brother brings his own baggage into the relationship, (beautiful, buttery soft leather, specially designed Marc Jacobs/Louis Vuitton luggage might I add) and when you put all that history and grief into one little train compartment, stuff... happens.

It's subtle hilarity. I chuckled. But I got train sick too. Wes Anderson's continuous shot camera action gives me motion sickness but it was worth it. So bring the ginger ale: Sip and enjoy.

View the trailer:




The prequel to this movie is a short film available for free on iTunes called Hotel Chevalier. It stars Jason Schwartzman and Natalie Portman. I haven't seen it. Have you? Thoughts? Worth seeing?

No comments: