Wednesday, October 10, 2007

2 to Watch For



The Ian Curtis biopic, "Control" opens for limited release in the States today. It is playing for a two week run at the Film Forum downtown if any New Yorkers want to catch it. I am definitely going to see this one.

Todd Hayes' new film, I'm Not There, starring an array of Hollywood’s finest channeling Bob Dylan, opens in November. The soundtrack, an impressive 30 track, mostly covers record, comes out at the end of this month. It is available now for pre-order at Amazon.

These are the tracks, in no particular order. (I highlighted the ones I'm especially excited to hear)

"All Along the Watchtower," Eddie Vedder and the Million Dollar Bashers
"As I Went Out One Morning," Mira Billotte
"Ballad of a Thin Man," Stephen Malkmus and the Million Dollar Bashers
"Billy," Los Lobos
"Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window," the Hold Steady
"Can't Leave Her Behind," Stephen Malkmus and Lee Ranaldo
"Cold Irons Bound," Tom Verlaine and the Million Dollar Bashers
"Dark Eyes," Iron & Wine and Calexico
"Fourth Time Around," Yo La Tengo
"Goin' To Acapulco," Jim James and Calexico
"Highway 61 Revisited," Karen O and the Million Dollar Bashers
"I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine," John Doe
"I Wanna Be Your Lover," Yo La Tengo
"I'm Not There," Bob Dylan
"I'm Not There," Sonic Youth
"Just Like a Woman," Charlotte Gainsbourg and Calexico
"Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues," Ramblin' Jack Elliot
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door," Antony & the Johnsons
"The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll," Mason Jennings
"Maggie's Farm," Stephen Malkmus and the Million Dollar Bashers
"Mama You've Been on My Mind," Jack Johnson
"The Man in the Long Black Coat," Mark Lanegan
"Moonshiner," Bob Forrest
"One More Cup of Coffee," Roger McGuinn and Calexico
"Pressing On," John Doe
"Ring Them Bells," Sufjan Stevens
"Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)," Willie Nelson and Calexico
"Simple Twist of Fate," Jeff Tweedy
"Stuck Inside of Mobile With Memphis Blues Again," Cat Power
"The Times They Are a Changin'," Mason Jennings
"Tombstone Blues," Richie Havens
"When The Ship Comes In," Marcus Carl Franklin
"Wicked Messenger," the Black Keys
"You Ain't Goin 'Nowhere," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

Also, do you recall a few years back when Bob Dylan was the face of Victoria’s Secret? I know, I am still struggling to make sense of it too. Why, Bob, why? Slate.com had some theories, but three years later, I realize whatever Victoria Secret was thinking, it was surely a positive move towards brand recognition. Ask anybody—“Remember when Bob Dylan was surrounded by lingerie-clad VS models?” Uh, yeeahh. It’s not exactly an image you can laser off of your cerebral cortex.

1 comment:

Rodrigo Perez said...

here's my preview of the I'm Not There soundtrack, you might enjoy.

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2007/10/im-not-there-soundtrack-preview.html