Monday, August 13, 2007

All I do is fold

Y'all know my pechant for origami. It's a hobby of mine. This old Japanese tale says that if you fold 1,000 paper cranes you are granted one wish. I feel weird about this because like Santa Clause, if I fold 1,000 and nothing happens, it would be as much a let down as spoiled milk and stale cookies (Santa? I'm talkin' to you).

What I think I will do is fold 999, and just sit on the brink of knowing that something spectacular could or could not happen. I would have to retire from folding and live on the thrill of the unknown. These birds have history. They make me ache. Alcoholics can't touch liquor.... Origamists can't square pieces of paper.

The Paper Cranes- I'll love you till... (link expired)

This song is spiffy as hell. It sounds like the weight of 999 paper cranes. I discovered them while sitting at work thinking, "If I had a band, I would probably call us, THE PAPER CRANES." But dang, these guys beat me to it. No worries though, they're making good on the name. In the era of TV soundtrack promos, I think it won't be long before they're featured on the next O.C./Grey's Anatomy type show. And double props because they're from Vancouver! If you are in the area, their myspace says they are playing a show at Richards on Richard on August 17th.

1 comment:

bug said...

the title to your post is adorable