Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Side A: Track 1




The Brooklyn based, fredflare is selling the next era of mixed-tape technology--- the mix tape USB drive. The packaging is a cute homage to the cassette tape with the USB drive all snug inside a fake cassette, but me thinks, why can't I just buy a usb drive and cut a hole in an old cassette? (At $22 for 64mb, it hardly seems worth the price, no?) Or better yet, do as your grandma would do-- make it from scratch. Bring out that old tape recorder! Call me old school, I would prefer a cassette or a CD. It's just more personal. Even so, I don't think a lot of people still make these things, except for the awesome members of the International Mixed Tape Project or "Love is a Mixed Tape" author, Rob Sheffield. What happened to the good old days when a boy likes a girl and as a symbol of that affection, said boy gives said girl a mixed tape/cd?


"Excuse me, here is the soundtrack to my heart. I think you are cool. Thank you for existing."


I have been mentally making a list of songs I would put on a tape for someone. In that 36 minutes and 39 seconds of music mixology, there is something to be said for who we are when we are apart, who we are when we are together. And if when we are together, I hear Radiohead's "All I Need" blaring over the soundsystem in my head, then who am I to shut that off?


But oh... if you are not hearing what I'm hearing...

Radiohead- All I Need (link expired)

2 comments:

Jon said...

Very well said...........

Colin said...

Hearing it, loudly and clearly. I can see this USB mixgadget taking off actually, though you can't beat a proper C45 tape (and at 63 UK pence it's a wonderful location to place your important heartsongs, the songs that tell them that you worship the ground that's walked upon... just listen...). Um, a great choice of song as well. I would have possibly gone for the Air song, of the same title. But In Rainbows is killing me just now, especially the one about weird fishes...

x