Monday, January 7, 2008

Broken English



I don't actually remember if this screenshot of Parker Posey, which supposedly was taken from the film, Broken English, was actually in the film. But I love the colors that seemingly saturate everything around her as she stares vapidly out into the streets.

There have been plenty of vapid staring as of late. 2008 is not starting so well... In one long breath, I am trying to build a groundswell of passion in my tone, in my language, in my stride, I am refusing to second doubt myself. I am trying to better understand my values but like Obama tries to say, "Where is the middle ground?" Why is it so hard to be valued as a whole person? My vices are as important to me as my virtues.

In Broken English, Nora Wilder (Posey) is working a job in which she finds no satisfaction. She ends up at a party and meeting someone who throws her for a loop, and she starts questioning why she has put her life on hold. She and her best friend go to Paris to look for this man, and it's basically one woman's realizations of her values.

My oldest and dearest friend and I pattered through the floors of Barnes and Noble talking about politics and art and sociology, and business, and literature this weekend. But because she is my oldest and dearest friend, I trust that she will not judge me if I have my facts crossed, or if my thought processes continuously muddle into a non-sensical flap. And because she is my best friend, she absolutely understands what I mean. It's quite helpful to have someone know what you mean, when you can't make sense of it yourself. I think we are both at that age, holding our breaths, and waiting for it all to make sense. Does it ever?

Mia Doi Todd- La Vie En Rose (expired)
(This song is not from the movie, but I love it nevertheless. From the album, The Unaccompanied Voice.. so appropriate)

1 comment:

Colin said...

Three cheers for best friends like this - where would we be without them?

PS, Please let me know if/when it all makes sense.