Wednesday, January 2, 2008

At The Start of the Morning

Joy Denalane is one of those rare talents who is a little hard to define, but so easy to relate to and appreciate. Born to a South African father and a German mother, she grew up in Berlin and speaks fluent German, a mother-tongue she frequently sings in whether, expressing from what I gather is, relationship woes, or the situation in Soweto. Known also for collaborating on tracks with Common and Lupe Fiasco, you know the woman has a strong head on her shoulders too just by seeing the company she keeps.

Today however, I have been watching this music video for her song "Sometimes Love" non-stop all morning. She just makes me feel really good about myself, kind of the way Mary J. Blige or Jill Scott does, but without the obvious self-esteem/be a queen talk (which is great by the way, but not for this kind of day). I attribute the great feeling not only to the lomography, pin-hole camera aesthetics, which makes me feel like I'm watching someone's home movies, but also to the scene with the children in the day care center. Wouldn't you rather sit in a circle playing itsy bitsy spider instead of going to work? It is, just one of those days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! Love love love this!

Colin said...

This is not my usual kind of thing but I'm very glad I pressed 'play'.

It really has *something*, both the song and video.

Lovely. Thanks for sharing! :)