Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oceans Will Rise



I remember the first time I saw The Stills perform. It was in college, and they made chit chat about the wine selection at our local university haunts. Pretty much after they played their last song that night, Killer Bees, I was hooked on this band.

Today, this Montreal quintet releases their third studio album, Oceans Will Rise. Well, do the oceans rise? Or rather, have they met expectations? Every fan of this band remembers their stellar debut album, Logic Will Break Your Heart, supported by tours with indie darlings, Ryan Adams, and Interpol. Their next album, Without Feathers left Logic fans behind, so what can you expect from Oceans? You must guess they’re not going to do the same old thing again.

They haven’t, and I’m not disappointed either. I think Oceans will confirm that reinvention is always in vogue. Snakecharming The Masses is a hypnotic, frenzied refusal to pander, backed by some intense percussion work. Statue of Sirens sprints to the other end of the spectrum, a beautiful and pensive soliloquy that I really love, and sounds like something that would be highly approved of by The Doves. (Kind of makes sense, since I love The Doves too. Ha.) The only song I could do without is Being Here, which does nothing for me. Although I find the music video for that song supremely funny in a Sleepy Hollow meets Monty Python kind of way.

The Stills- Statue of Sirens

No comments: