Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Beginning Is Never The End

One of the earliest albums that I bought for myself was the soundtrack to the 1997 film, Batman & Robin. Yes, that would be the film that tanked the franchise until Nolan and Bale resurrected it from the dead with Batman Begins.

What few people realize was that even though the film was one of the worst movies of the decade, the soundtrack was an unexpected mishmash of brilliance. (I have it on cassette! I was a bit of a late bloomer and didn’t have a CD player till much later in life.) Sandwiched between two versions of essentially the same Smashing Pumpkins songs were tracks from Bone Thugs, Jewel, and trip hop group, Moloko. It was an unconventional mix that really worked for me. Anyway, I only started thinking about this because best buddy and I caught the trailer for 2009’s graphic novel film de jour, The Watchmen, when we went to see The Dark Knight. I recognized the song as Smashing Pumpkins’ The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning from B&R. It's also available on their album of singles and rarities.

Recycling a Batman song in a trailer shown before a new Batman movie? I kind of love it.

Watch the trailer for The Watchmen:




Smashing Pumpkins- The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning
(Buy Batman and Robin, or the Pumpkins’ Singles and Rarities)

1 comment:

The Quest for Complete Happiness said...

Now I know why I was having such a strong case of deja vu last night, while watching the trailer, before seeing Dark Knight! Thank you for making the connection!!!