Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Lady Reincarnate



I’ve been collecting covers of Elliot Smith’s "Between The Bars" for a little while now, and although I can’t say the collection I’ve amassed is particularly impressive, there is one cover that stands out, and it belongs to Ms. Madeleine Peyroux.

Unlike the other covers I have heard, which are distinctly Elliot Smith, her cover has Lady Day stamped all over it. From the surreptitious gloom haunting the intimate vocals, she may as well light up a cigarette and take solitude on the stage of a smoke filled jazz bar. If Elliot Smith and Billie D had a love child, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was this amazing young woman.

This track comes from her second album, Careless Love.

Madeleine Peyroux- Between The Bars
(Buy Careless Love)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you're right, this lady is fantastic!