Sunday, February 17, 2008

“Pick Me Up In Echo Park!”



My ears needed a break from the stuff that I normally listen to, and I stumbled upon this gem from a Cambodian band via L.A. called Dengue Fever that I just had to share. Best band name, they have not. I wouldn’t have chosen to name my band after an infectious disease, but hey, I’m not in a group that covers some really catchy Cambodian pop tunes either. While almost all of their music is sung in Khmer, on the new album, Venus on Earth, they venture into some English songs as well like, “Sober Driver.”

It tells the tale of a girl who calls up a guy she is sometimes into, but really, she just needs a designated driver. How messed up is that? Vehicular heartbreak collision ahead. Department of Transportation, please make a road sign for this.

Interesting note, Dengue Fever also has a documentary coming out called Sleepwalking Through the Mekong, which chronicles their 2005 tour in Cambodia. It will be shown at UnionDocs in Brooklyn. And catch them on tour in March as well when they drop by Mercury Lounge on March 4th and Southpaw on March 5th.

Dengue Fever- Sober Driver (link expired)
(Buy the album, Venus On Earth)
(band's myspace)

No comments: