Friday, September 12, 2008

How do you do it? Make me feel like I do?


Currently I am reading Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield, which was highly recommended by my music loving friends.

The book made me so nostalgic for the mix tapes I made 10 years ago that I went digging through my drawers and boxes looking for the cassettes that had all my old favorites on them. I found one with some Incubus and Sarah McLachlan songs and happily popped it into my stereo.

I was bopping around singing “Stellar,” and generally having a grand time, when suddenly the tape stopped. Funny, I could have sworn there were more songs on this one. When I opened the deck, a whole blooming ribbon of cassette guts tangled the spindle, forcing me to do something I haven’t done in a decade—rewind the damn thing with a pencil*.

It’s funny how time forces you to remember the correct course of action for a problem that now feels utterly alien. Rewinding ribbon?!? I know I could just as well listen to an mp3 of the song or listen to the CD, but the low-fi, static buzz of my ancient recording takes me back to 1999, belting out this song with my best friend, and making it my secret love song for some boy I can’t even remember the name of right now**.

Incubus- Stellar
(Buy the album- Make Yourself)

*- Almost completely sure that the tape is ruined. :(
**- Henry? I think it was Henry?

No comments: