Monday, December 10, 2007

The Song that Pays, The Song that Stays



These are some old songs that randomly shuffled onto a playlist. I forgot how much I loved the demo to The Strokes "You Only Live Once.” For all the shiny spirit of the album version, it’s still the demo I love best. I think I enjoy this afterthought bout of honesty from Julian Casablancas. Just tell it like it is, please.

Ten decisions shape your life,
you'll be aware of 5 about,
7 ways to go through school,
either you're noticed or left out,
7 ways to get ahead,
7 reasons to drop round,
when I said ' I can see me in your eyes',
you said 'I can see you in my bed',
that's not just friendship, that's romance too,
you like music we can dance to....

Why not try it all,
if you only remember it once...


Yes, why not try it all? Some days I just want to slow it all down. The album parties like a rock star, but the demo cleans up the dixie cups.

The Strokes- I'll Try Anything Once (demo)
(Purchase the 'Heart in a Cage' enhanced single)

The Strokes- You Only Live Once (album version)
(Purchase the album)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, love those lyrics