Monday, December 24, 2007

Money Makes the World Go Round

Christmas is just around the corner, and like most of America, I spent the last few weeks cramming shopping at the bustling malls, and waiting on long lines. This evening I turned on the TV and caught the middle of an interview with Benjamin Barber on Bill Moyers, and he was talking about capitalism, consumerism, and his book , Consumed. He’s an interesting fellow. I don't think he means to come across as patronizing, but I can understand how he could come off that way. Still he makes a compelling argument.

I haven’t read his book, but it did peak my interest. Do markets corrupt people? I don’t think it’s the market’s job to teach us about responsibility. I think it’s up to the people to decide for themselves what is socially responsible, and accept that we aren’t perfect, but we do the best we can. But the thing about that is, once you have enough citizens together who are demanding for social action, the ball really starts to roll. Like this whole green movement in recent years. Eat organic, wear bamboo, carry cloth totes. Spend your dollars on environmentally friendly goods.

The market gets its fingers dirty in that too as well. A famous starlet was seen carrying that “I’m not a plastic bag” tote which was then made available at Wholefoods and then the lines went crazy for those limited edition bags. And then I saw the knock off versions in Chinatown and it just didn’t sit right with me. I mean, this is New York-- knock offs are peddled on sidewalks with the same enthusiasm as hot dogs and roasted peanuts, albeit you probably wouldn’t buy peanuts from a dude who scatters the nuts on a blanket on Broadway and Prince St.

But since the goal of that “not a plastic bag” campaign is to get people to stop using plastic bags, is it, A) good that people want to be environmentally-aware, and the purchase of a fake with the slogan means more people will see the message, B) a little sad that consumers would resort to a fake when, let’s face, it, plain old cloth totes are cheap and readily available anywhere, and this is just another status piece, or C) all of the above?

Am I answering my own question?

Benjamin Barber was telling Moyer something to the extent of, “capitalism has failed us”, and the consumer marketing machine infantilizes adults into mindlessly droning, “I see, I want, I need.” Maybe. But getting back to the point of fake goods, if say, Gucci or Louis Vuitton sold bags that donated a hefty 50-75% of the profits of each sale to a good cause, would people think twice about buying knock-offs? Who knows? I think the problem is luxury brands are in the business of luxury, and not the business of charity. The world might be a better place if they met in the middle more often. But hey, like Lily Allen says, “that’s just the way the cookie crumbles.” And let's face it, they wouldn't be very good at their job if they constantly gave handouts. One day perhaps, we can fix that pesky job description Mr./Ms. Moneymaker.

I lost my point. Where was I? (I ramble!) Oh yeah, Christmas. So what can consumers do during the most wonderful time of the year? What we’ve always been doing: Save some, spend some, and give some away. All things in moderation. Have a very, merry Christmas.

Jesca Hoop- Money
(Buy the album: Kismet)

No comments: