Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lost! Coldplay.

Here are a couple of photos of Coldplay playing a free show at Rockafeller Center. I woke up at the crack of dawn for this. And promptly left right after their sound check.





It hit me as I was smothered between the diehard fans and tourists with their humongous signs, that Coldplay is… well, overrated. My mood might have been determined by the Coldplay zealot I was smushed against, who regularly reaffirmed her love for Chris Martin at seven minute intervals, ( “Did you know that he’s like, the cutest guy ever?”) or maybe the fact that she never set down her sign, even when the stage was empty, and made sure everyone felt the wrath of her enthusiasm. (You’re a fan. Great. I get it.) However, it was probably a combination of the company, and the realization that their music bored me to tears.

As I wiped the sleep from my eyes, and watched them tune up, I asked myself, “Why the hell am I here?” I mean, I loved the Violet Hill vid, but I suppose I was expecting the live act to live up to the hype. To be fair, it is a lot of hype, and it was a free show after all. As I see it, they don’t have very good luck with free shows. I wonder how many people who showed up at MSG were disappointed that their beloved rock god can’t remember the lyrics to his own songs. Their fans are loyal. Believe me, I was hit in the head with a sign by one. Hopefully the rest of their tour will go more smoothly.

As for me, Lovers in Japan is a great song. So is Violet Hill. I will always have Parachutes. But I won’t be shelling out money to see them any time soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cool! Even though the fans are wack...

D. said...

sorry i couldn't make it to get smothered there with you =/